2023 School Terms
Term 1 : 18 January – 31 March
Term 2: 12 April - 23 June
Term 3: 18 July - 29 September
Term 4: 10 October - 13 December
2023 Public Holidays
- 1 January 2023 - New Year’s Day
- 2 January 2023 - Public Holiday
- 20 March 2023 - Human Rights day
- 07 April 2023 - Good Friday
- 10 April 2023 - Family Day
- 27 April 2023 - Freedom Day
- 1 May 2023 - Workers Day
- 16 June 2023 - Youth Day
- 9 August 2023 - National Women's Day
- 24 September 2023 - Heritage Day
- 16 December 2023 - Day of Reconcilliation
- 25 December 2023 - Christmas Day
- 26 December 2023 - Day of Goodwill
- Gr RR & R: 07:45-12:30 (Mondays to Fridays)
- Gr 1 & 2: 07:30-13:15 (Mondays to Thursdays)
- Gr 3: 07:30-14:00 (Mondays and Tuesdays)
07:30–13:15 (Wednesdays and Thursdays)
- Gr. 4 – 7: – 07:30 – 14:00 (Mondays to Fridays)
Moompi is a shy, blue, friendly character that loves children very much. Moompi helps them to grow up in a safe and friendly environment. The concept was developed in 1995 by the Great Tshwane Child Protection Initiative to help identify and treat child abuse.
Hendrik Louw Primary use Moompi to focus on developing responsible behaviour in our children and to prevent child abuse. Moompi also assists in creating a safe and healthy environment where our children can develop and grow.
Every grade has trained volunteer moms that focus on facilitating and encouraging spontaneous communication from the children. A child can reach out by writing a letter to Moompi wherein he/she can share his/her emotions, and then mail it to Moompi in the special mailbox at the school. A child can also request to speak to one of the volunteer moms as there is one on duty every morning for 45 minutes in the Moompi-corner. This is a safe environment wherein the child can share his positive or negative emotions and are helped to handle it.
Referrals are made to the relevant departmental heads for further escalation, if required. Moompi handles about 120 letters and 90 personal conversations every term.
Secondhand School Clothes
The school has a secondhand clothing shop.
07:15-08:00 Mondays and Thursdays
07:15-08:00 Maandae en Donderdae
Financial contributions can be paid in directly
Hendrik Louw Primary School
For more information on how you can get involved, or for any inquiries, kindly contact the Moompi Project coordinator Marla van der Merwe
Hendrik Louw Primary has the services of a social worker. Appointments can be book via the administrative personnel.
The role of the social worker is backed by the belief that if obstacles to learning are minimized, learners will reach their full potential. These obstacles can include social, physical, spiritual or the environment.
Prevention Programs include:
- Grade 7 WOW Project: Healthy inter-personal relationships and choices
- Social Media: Grade 6 project
- Personnel training: Child Law and Abuse No More protocol from WCED
- Learner training: Child Law and Abuse No More protocol from WCED
- Parental Guidance
- Fundamental help and assistance
- Home visits as needed
- Emotional support to learners
- Social worker intervention - obstacles to learning
- Referrals to other agencies if required
- Multi-disciplinary meetings
The social worker strives to help learners maintain a balance in their bio-socio-emotional lives and to maintain it.